This is the first stable release of Xibo 1.8!
This release is the result of 7 alpha/beta/rc releases and contains significant improvements from 1.7 Series, the highlights are below:
- Installation: Docker deployments
- Installation: Step by Step Upgrade Wizard
- Layouts and Content: Layout Designer improvements, including a new toolbar
- Layouts and Content: Add audio to Widgets
- Layouts and Content: Layout Import/Export handles DataSets
- Layouts and Content: Add some extra fonts as standard
- Layouts and Content: New Widgets, including Stocks, Currencies, HLS, PDF, Metro Twitter, Google Traffic, Audio
- Displays: Push messaging
- Displays: Scheduled and Immediate shell commands
- Displays: RS232 commands
- Displays: Dynamic and Nested Display Groups
- Schedule: Dayparting and "always" schedules
- Schedule: Agenda View
- Schedule: Recurring Events without an end date
- Internationalisation: Support for custom date formats
- Internationalisation: Displays in different timezones
- User and Permissions: Changing ownership of items
- User and Permissions: SAML support for single sign on
- User and Permissions: Announcement system
- Extending and Troubleshooting: API for 3rd party integrations
- Extending and Troubleshooting: Code improvements to enable better customisation of code (Middleware and Modules)
- Extending and Troubleshooting: Overhaul auditing and logging
- Extending and Troubleshooting: PHPUnit Test Suite
- Extending and Troubleshooting: Documentation improvements
- 389 closed issues
These release notes should be read and understood before upgrading.
The CMS can be run without Docker, but this is not a supported configuration. Installs without Docker are called Custom/Manual Installs and further details can be found here. The release archive for a manual install can be downloaded from GitHub.
We recommend using the 1.8.0 Windows Player with this release. The 1.7.6 or later version of the Windows Display Player is also compatible with this CMS, but will not run the latest features.
Switching to Docker
Our recommended configuration for 1.8 series onward will be based on Docker and from 1.8.0-rc3 the focus of the documentation has changed to reflect this. If you would like to try 1.8.0-rc3 by upgrading your existing 1.7 installation, we recommend switching to Docker. Please refer to the upgrade guide for more information.
Changes to Docker
We have removed
launcher in favour of Docker Compose. Docker Compose supports a wider variety of platforms
and is the official Docker implementation.
This means that upgrading from any 1.8 release to 1.8.0-rc3 will require the following additional steps:
- Take a backup of your
- Replace the contents of your Docker files with the new release archive for 1.8.0-rc3
- Open both
config.envin your preferred text editor
- Transfer CMS_DATABASE_PASSWORD from
launcher.envto MYSQL_PASSWORD in
If you have custom ports for the web server or XMR, please see these notes.
Windows Player CEF
The 1.7 series contained experimental support for CEF browser integration. This has been removed in the 1.8 release due to stability issues. In 1.8 you will not be able to use CEF as an alternative rendering engine.
We are working towards a new cross platform player which will replace this Windows player and will also support Ubuntu. This development can be tracked on our community forum.
This release supports upgrades from 1.7.0 onwards. If you are running a release prior to 1.7.0 then please upgrade to 1.7.9 first.
Follow the upgrade instructions to complete the upgrade.
For Docker installations of 1.8, please see the "Changes to Docker" section above.
Please report problems with this release using the Support Category on the Community Forum.
For a full list of enhancements and bug fixes please refer to the Release Project Page.
Back to Top
This documentation is licensed under the Creative Commons Licence.